A bit of a break from hexagons today. This is what I am working on at the moment. You remember I promised Big J a blanket? I wrote about it’s early beginnings here. Well, he won and is getting his ripples (it is his blanket after all) and his favourite colours, but I have insisted on an overall background of grey. Some of the colours he has chosen are very strong so I wanted the grey to tone them down a bit. Fingers crossed it works and it looks ok!!
Here’s the yarn mountain. Lots of soft and cuddly Stylecraft Special DK. The colours are Lipstick, Royal, Aster, Turquoise, Grey, Silver. At the moment I am wondering about the silver and whether I should have just stuck to the one shade of Grey…. but we will see when all is done. The pattern is Lucy’s (Attic24) Interlocking Colour Ripple.
And this is the progress so far. This is the first time I have crocheted a side to side blanket (as opposed to one made up of blocks joined together) and I am very pleased with the feel and drapey-ness it is acquiring. It feels very snuggly and comforting, and almost more sturdy than one made of blocks…. but maybe that is due to my bad experience with the “not-so-magic loops” and the Patchy Blanket. I’m crocheting the ends in as I join the colours so there is less sewing to be done later – there will still be some, maybe I will get started on that tonight so I don’t have it hanging over me.
I have to confess that at one point I thought this blanket would never get going. I had done everything right, even doing a small swatch to test the pattern out, I’d counted my starting chain very carefully, but for some reason it kept going wrong and I just couldn’t work out why. I ripped it out several times and kept trying and failing. Eventually I ripped it all out and started over. My starting chain had been right but I had made the odd mistake in my rows which is why it wasn’t working. I think I am going to have to keep a close check on my stitches as one extra stitch in the wrong place throws the pattern off, or else I will work out a cunning way to sort out my mistakes!!! I guess that’s the big difference between working in blocks and side to side.